Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I want to try and get partial custody of my little girl. Her

I want to try and get partial custody of my little girl. Her mother, my ex girlfriend has custody of her and will not let me see her without my parents being there. The situation is that we dated for only a few months and she got pregnant. We broke up and she found out she was pregnant. At that time I was freaked out by it and told her maybe she should get an abortion. I also didn't know if she was mine because she was friends with another guy and I wasn't sure if it could be his. She had my little girl and contacted me to let me know but said that I would never be her daddy. Needless to say she married the guy that was her friend. I spend time with her when my parents get her on a weekend but her mother and step-dad will not let me take her by myself. I know I made a mistake from the beginning but I love my daughter and I want to be able to pick her up without my parents having to be there. I want to get partial custody of her and need to know how I go about doing that. Thanks!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting JA with your question,

You can stand up for your parental rights but you need to do it in court. It is best to go to court with an attorney who specializes in child custody cases. They are called Family Law attorneys. You may be able to find one (in the yellow pages) who specializes in FATHERS rights. There is no good way to do this without an attorney so it is costly.

You can call the Family Court in your County for more information on the process of petitioning for custody. Good luck....
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.