Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I am having trouble with my 6 year old son. Lately, he is hving

I am having trouble with my 6 year old son. Lately, he is hving serious problems with lying, saying swear words and just plain ole' getting into trouble. He is a middle child. His brother is 8 and his sister is 3. He is constantly talking loudly and yelling at his siblings, and he seems to cry over everything, even if he just gets bumped into. We thought for a long time that he was just overly sensitive, but now the acting out is getting out of control. We've tried everything regarding punishments, ie: sitting in time out, standing in the corner, writing sentences, being sent to his room, taking things away. Nothing works! I am so frustrated! We even tried a reward system, but nothing seems to pay off. What else can I do? He is fine everywhere else, such as at his grandparents, and at school, but at home, it's a disaster! Please help me!
First question to ask is "what is the meaning of this behavior?"
Any ideas about why he behaves this way at home and not at school?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have absolutely no idea. My finace and I thought that maybe being the middle child, that possibly he felt like he wasn't getting enough attention, so we tried giving him more, but no luck. We've tried sitting down with him and asking if there's anything going on at school, like being bullied, be he says that everything at school is good. I'm just completely out of answers, and I feel as though we are doing something wrong.
I agree with your theory that his behavior is attention getting and the middle child factor. With 3 children, this will be difficult but please go back to your initial intuition that more attention will be the answer. First of all give him praise for good behavior until you feel that you are overdoing it; then, give him special mommy time every day (10-20 minutes alone doing a fun thing - the others will understand) and finally use a token economy for all the children.

Sample token economy:

Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have taken a quick look at the token economy plan that you have suggested, and I think I will give it a try! It can't hurt when everything else has failed! Thank you so mych for your help; it is greatly appreciated!
you are welcome