proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi how are you My son is 18 months old and he has been hitting

Hi how are you

My son is 18 months old and he has been hitting his head when he gets upset or frustrated. But its not just little hits.
He hit his head so bad on his crib repeatedly that he had a goose egg and bruise on his forehead.
I don't know what to do. He has a foam helmet that he wares during the day but I was wondering why this is happening.
Thank you.

Oh and I had 2 more quick questions
1.) How soon and how do I know when to start potty training
2.) How soon and how do I know when to put him into a toddler bed?

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions and I look forward to hearing from you
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Hello...With regards XXXXX XXXXX first question, I think it would be best to get more detailed advice from your son's pediatrician as to why your son hits his head so violently. There may be developmental or emotional issues that only a doctor can truly examine and evaluate. With regards XXXXX XXXXX training, most parents begin potty training boys between 2 and 3 years of age but it is closer to 3. The process may be a long and continuous journey but you must be consistent by first taking him to the bathroom every hour to see if he has to go "potty." Do not worry about the night time potty issue until the daytime issue is fairly mastered. He may not be completely potty trained until 4 or 4 1/2. If you start at 2 years and it just seems like a complete disaster, then hold off for a while. Your son is not ready. With regards XXXXX XXXXX to a toddler bed, most parents change their children from a crib to a toddler bed around the age of 2. It your son has started to climb out of the crib, then you may need to change him to a toddler bed sooner. I changed my son to a toddler bed a t 15 months. My other sons moved to a toddler bed at age 2. However with a toddler bed comes alot of freedom because the children can get out of the bed and roam. That is when a child safety gate come into play at the doorway of their bedroom.

Hope this has helped. Positive feedback is appreciated. Request Erica.13 for future parenting needs. Have a great day and a Happy New Year. Please ACCEPT so that I may be compensated for my efforts. Thank you for your time.