Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

The director of special services for my daughters elementary

Customer Question

The director of special services for my daughters elementary school district stated at the last IEP Team meeting, "I'll give it to you straight, Savannah is not smart enough to pass the MCAS (4th Grade)".
Her comment was made in regard to whether Aimes Web was a
valid measure of whether Savannnah is learning. In Savannah's 3rd grade year she performed "poor" on the MCAS even with accommodations. My question is can the director make a comment like this? I am under the impression that Savannah should be learning the same curriculum but with goals so she lands in the same place as her peirs by years end.
Thiughts?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
I need to step out for 15 minutes. I promise I'll be right back.
Is Savannah not in an IEP programme? Shouldn't she, because she is in an IEP programme be dealt with in a way where she can learn at her level? I don't understand why the school director said to you that Savannah is not smart enough to pass the 4th grade MCAS. Shouldn't she have been allowed to take the test to, in fact, see how she scores. It's also a very rude, insensitive comment to make to a parent.
I think what you need to do is contact the MA State Education Department and ask them for their help. They are the overseers of education in the state and will be able to help you directly with this matter.

I see that Savannah has been seen by a developmental paediatrician. Has she been tested by a neurological psychologist? This is separate from your question but I mention this because a neurological psychologist could set up a treatment plan and goals for Savannah.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Curious why a lawyer did not reply as I requested.
Also, response asked for info I had already indicated.
You sent it to parenting.