proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

How can I help/stop my 25 adult son from stealing from me

Customer Question

How can I help/stop my 25 adult son from stealing from me? He waits until I'm asleep during the night and takes my bank card to get money from the Teller machine at my bank. At one time it was over a thousand dollars. Now it is sixty or seventy maybe a couple of times a month. I talk to him and tell him of the ramifications of what he is doing. I'm on Social Security Survivors Benefits at $1646 a month. I'm having to sell my home because I can not afford to live here anymore. He has never held a job and refuses to look for one. He's suppose to be on medication for depression and ADHD but won't keep his doctor's appointments, which I can't afford anyway. I got information from the Harris County Mental Health and Retardation center for him. He has to make the call.
I'm going to sit in his room until he makes the call today. I will change the PIN number on my bank card, also.
What's wrong with him!! Last Monday I ended up in the hospital for a overdose of Clonizapam. I feel helpless and hopeless. Is there anything more I can do? Is there any hope for him?

Jamie Crow [email protected]
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello...I would suggest that your son seek counseling but I see from what you have already stated that he does not even keep his doctor's appointments. You can take another route and press charges against him if it is that serious. I know that it sounds drastic and harsh but your alternatives are very minimal. If you do not want to press charges, then you can still ask the police department from some assistance. They may even just talk to your son and put some fear into him. Your son is taking advantage of you and must be held accountable for his actions in some way, shape, or form.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your input. I don't think I could involve the police. He is already so low. We talked again yesterday and I told him I wasn't leaving his room until he made the call for counceling. It took a while and a lot of talking but he finally made the call. Maybe it's a start.
Again, thank you,

Jamie Crow

You are headed in the right direction!!!! Much luck to you. Hang in there. Take care and Happy New Year.