Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

My daughter is 5 1/2yrs and is constantly asking for food and

Customer Question

My daughter is 5 1/2yrs and is constantly asking for food and over eats. I have seeks the advice of 2 GP's and went to a dietitian. She always takes more than needs at bday parties hangs around the food and has little interest in playing.
Somebody told me that giving her negativite attention by saying no that its stil attention and that maybe there are under lying behavioural issues? How and who would help me find this out?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.

ParentingMD :

hI,

ParentingMD :

Is she overweight?

ParentingMD :

Does she do regular exercise?
has she been tested for blood sugar levels?

ParentingMD :

These may help us in diagnosing and managing the child.

JACUSTOMER-qeeor05n- :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-qeeor05n- :

My daughter is at her 5th bday in july weighed 29kg and is 122cm tall. everyone we have seen has said that she is big for her age, but it will all pan out in the long run.....

JACUSTOMER-qeeor05n- :

She does swimming lessons twice a week, gymnastics and is very highly energised. Its flat out or stop nothing in between really

JACUSTOMER-qeeor05n- :

We had blood tests done last october 2009, as we were having issues with sleeping, behaviour, eating. Tests were fine, as a results we discovered she was experiencing sleep apneoia, had grossly enlarged tonsils which were removed in April 2010.

ParentingMD :

Thanks for the inputs

ParentingMD :

Your daughter's behavior could very well be because she's not 'the baby' anymore. If you relax and downplay the issues surrounding food, perhaps ask her to help plan the meals she's asking about, it may loose steam.
If she suggests something unhealthy - give her two other choices. IE: she asks for cake? You offer apple or banana slices with peanut butter to dip into, or a couple teaspoons of brown sugar w/cinnamon to sprinkle on. Veggies may become more interesting with a dipping sauce of ranch (low fat) dressing, bleu cheese, or squeeze on butter (it's a no-trans fat, low cal choice).

ParentingMD :

Certainly an underlying behavior problem needs to be looked in to, and I would recommend Blood Sugar evaluation in this case, since this is not routinely performed. Please check if the same was done in her case during the testing.

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.
Get some more information about pediatric eating disorders here
http://www.familytlc.net/child_eating_disorder.html
Warm regards