Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
19260254

Two weeks ago my 26 y son, father of a 2 year old, out of work,

Customer Question

Two weeks ago my 26 y son, father of a 2 year old, out of work, no income, left his girlfriend and moved back in with me. I am in a relationship and live in my partners home.
His main prolem ishe has been using oxicontios. The situation is so stressful last night my partner had a mini stroke and is in hospital. I love them both in different ways. Help! I can turn my son out on the street with no place to live.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Does he want to get help? What do you want to see happening and what would your role be in this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He said he would get help once he gets a job After 3 months you are garunteed a job.So I would say no he doesn't want help.Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
If he does not want help, your options are limited. You can stage an in home intervention with other family/friends, ask him to leave/help enabling him. Talk to his ex and see if the two of them had spoken about some short term plans. Your partner may be able to help you with feedback and emotional support but ultimately, this is an issue b/w your son and his partner. He is relying on you right now because you've been helpful. Perhaps if he sees your concern and you set some sort of rules/ultimatum, he'd have to think of ways to help himself. He;s an adult and ought to take the responsibility for his life and that of his child. You can not save him from his life nor be there anytime he needs to be bailed out of difficulties. As a mom you feel obligated and probably guilty and that won't help him in the long run. Be straight forward with him and tell him what your expectations and that of your partner are. Then you can help him brain storm some options for the time being that would help him move on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much does this cost?