Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I have a child who is now 15 years of age. She is very resistent

Customer Question

I have a child who is now 15 years of age. She is very resistent to rules and relunctant to do as her parents instructs - consistently. The problem is that she has been like this since around 2 or 3. In school she is only willing to do the bare minimum to get by although is as smart as the smartest person in class. She is also a natural athlete but again not willing to put any effort to do well in sport

Assigned chores at home are either overlooked (with excuses) or when done, the job is sloppy. She has a great personality, wonderful smile and those that donot live with her think she is great. How can I get her to be motivated and to understand the potential that she holds? My concern is for her future, especially college entrance.

Frustrated and Frightened Parent
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr M W Hanif replied 5 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Dr Wajid :

Have you consulted a psychologist for her regarding her problems?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, as I have stated in my Already Tried section.

Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
I think you were transfered to the parenting section. I would like to try to help but have a question. Is she more motivated to perform when the subject matter or activity is an interest of hers? What are her interests? Thanks