Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My baby s 4 weeks old. she keeps crying to be held even after

My baby s 4 weeks old. she keeps crying to be held even after her diaper is clean and she is fed. I don't mind holding her but can't just hold her like this all day long. What should I do? is it ok to let her cry?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for asking your question here,

Sounds like she needs help to get to sleep yet. This is normal for her age. If you are sure she is tired, let her cry for 10 minutes, pick her up to calm her down and then, put her down for another 10 minute cry. She should fall asleep by then.

If she is not tired and you are unable to hold her, find the things which interest her such as looking at a interesting toy (babies prefer to look at faces above all else so a doll or stuffed toy might do). Her attention span for this thing won't be long (only a few minutes). Also entertain her with music (find out what she likes) and movement (swing). As she gets older, these things will interest her for longer and longer. Right now, you are the thing that interests her most.

Best wishes on this parenting journey. Feel free to ask again and if you put For Bonnie in the subject line, I will answer.