proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Hello my name is Tina, My sister Kims daughter is falling

Customer Question

Hello my name is Tina,

My sister Kim's daughter is falling of the rails. Brooke is a beauitful you lady with everything going for her. Brooke has so such a cheap on her shoulders and thinks that the world owes her everything. Kim is has had enough dont get me wrong Kim has tried everything she can to help Brooke but Brooke just doesn't seem to care. Brooke is now stealing from her parents (Kim's and step father Peter). Well what I am asking is where do we go to get help ? Brooke is 21 years of age but I know that in her heart that she knows right from wrong.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Does Kim still live at home with her parents? What exactly is she stealing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kim is the Mother, Brooke is the daughter. Brooke is stealing anything of value to get money. She has stolen Kims wedding rings her brothers X Box. Yes Brooke is stilling living at home. But that dosen't mean that she is going home to sleep every night. Brooke brought a car on HP.

Brooke is an adult and she needs to be held accountable for her actions. Does Brooke own up to her stealing? Maybe a police report needs to be filed. If Kim has established house rules and Brooke refuses to abide by those rules, then she must be given an ultimatum and be required to live elsewhere of else her actions may become more untolerable and negative.

On the flipside... if all family members are willing, family counseling or therapy would be another completely different alternative to work through these difficult issues.

Your sister will have to decide what would be the best option for her that she could live with.