Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

About 2 weeks ago, my 15 year old son was with 2 friends and

Customer Question

About 2 weeks ago, my 15 year old son was with 2 friends and one of the f riends shoplifted at our local mall and was caught. My son was also found with a joint on him. They are both banned from the mall for 18 months but were not charged. I told my son he was grounded for one month. He refused to be grounded because he says he didn't steal anything. I told him it is because he put himself in a position (being with a shoplifter) to get in trouble and also because he had a joint. We have taken everything away from him and he tells me that we can keep everything for 3 weeks but he doesn't deserved to be grounded. A couple of my sisters thought that one month was kind've harsh so I told me that I would consider one week. He is also refusing this and says to keep his stuff. I am at my wits end. I drive to his school every day to pick him up and he refuses to come. I am tempted to have the police escort him to me so I can take him home. He is missing school at times, marks in a few subjects are not so good. As well, we are just very upset that he has this friend, who the police told us at the time of the shoplifting, is someone that we should keep our son away from. This friend has a part time job so we feel that he is giving our son marijuana and money for pizza and movies, etc. We are trying to encourage our son to get a job so he can have his own money.
Can you tell me how I can handle this situation. I just feel if I don't enforce the week of being grounded, that he won't listen to anything else I say either. Also, do you think that because he continually ignores me about the grounding, that it would be a good idea to get the police to help me.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Category Moderator on JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below: