Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

When will I stop going to work early and wanting to stay at

When will I stop going to work early and wanting to stay at work as long as possible, even if I am not on the clock? Baby is almost 8 months.
Good evening and thanks for coming to JA with your distressing situation.

I am assuming that you may be already diagnosed with a depressive disorder (? post-partum or other). Having said that, you are not enjoying parenting a dependent infant (who may have a difficult temperament??). Even if baby has a good temperament, many mother's express a dislike for this stage of development. Not everyone is satisfied or good at parenting every stage. You might find that you will like it better when child is able to talk and you can communicate back and forth. In this situation, it may be better to shoot for quality time rather than quantity and provide a child care provider who is good with this stage (i.e., responds to babies needs and nurtures development). Then, don't be too hard on yourself but continue to try to find the answer to your depressed mood (i.e., therapy and medication).

In terms of learning to enjoy baby, I would recommend that you keep up with the developmental steps and enjoy babies advancement through then. For instance, he should now be interested in looking into containers for things (put small toy in plastic bowl) and taking them out. In a few months, he will begin to put them into containers. He will enjoy looking at and touching books (plastic or cardboard) now. In a few months, he will turn the pages. The unfolding of developmental skills is quite a miracle.

If I have missed the intent of your question, please let me know.