Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I have a 21 month old little boym who is wonderful! But heres

Customer Question

I have a 21 month old little boym who is wonderful! But here's my problem...He went from going to bed awake but groggy and getting himself to sleep to staying awake crying forever until I go in his room. I know I have made the problem worse by going in but he will cry for 2 hours, no joke. Last night he went to bed at 9:10pm, cried until about 11:30 ish. He was quiet for awhile so I assumed he was asleep. I checked the monitor and he was wide awake, standing up no less. Again I let himstay in his room as he wasn't crying. I then fell asleep and woke up at 1:50 am and he was still awake and standing up!!!!! Still he wasn't crying but how could he reamin awake and not just collapse out of exhaustion? By that time I did go in his room and he fell asleep on me in about 5 mins. You even have set routine we've been doing since summer for bedtime. One last note he was sick about a month ago with an ear infection. He was pretty miserable and literally didn't leave my lap for 2 days. Ever since then his slepp has been out of whack....could that have anything to do with it? Please help! Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX exhausted =)
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 3 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm a Category Moderator on JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Walter
Moderator
Expert:  Bonnie replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for coming to JA with your question,
I would recommend continuing the strategy that you have been except for one alteration. I would go in and calm him down every half hour. He may just need the reassurance that you are still there. I know it is counterintuitive but 2 hours is just too long for falling asleep. Another thought: Could he still be having ear pain?

Good luck.