proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 16 year old daughter has told me that she is interested

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter has told me that she is interested in a girl at school...the girl says she likes her too..my daughter has never shown any indication that she has been interested in same sex relationships. what do I do... With three teenagers I have seen/heard and increase in the conversations that kids at school are bi or gay and am confused as to whether it is just an in thing or that there is an increase of kids acknowledging these feelings and acting on them.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Your daughter is probably being influenced by her peers since she is 16 and peer pressure has a pronounced effect at this age. You have been an active listener which is a step in the right direction. You must be careful though as to not say the incorrect things which she may feel threatened by and shut you off. I would suggest that she receive psychological counseling if it is deemed necessary. She may not feel comfortable speaking with you because you may judge her actions. She can openly discuss her feelings with a psychologist or a counselor in an open and accepting environment. The choice is yours what to do but this is a very touchy issue. Just continue to love your daughter no matter what choice she makes in life.

I hope that this has helped. If so, please ACCEPT. If you need further assistance, please let me know. Have a great day. Thank you.