proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I just lost this page in the middle of a sentence, so here

Customer Question

I just lost this page in the middle of a sentence, so here goes again:

My dau and her husband have one son, age 10. Both parents are alcoholics, his mother most acutely. The father has been out of work for over a year, and their house is in foreclosure. The strife between parents erupts into drunken fights with frequent calls to the police.
The mother has been in-patient hospital for several months' treatment, and in several emergency rooms, most recently last month when the police took her there.
Yesterday my grandson called to ask me to come around. He had been kept out of school -- he said the reason being he was afraid to leave his mother alone, because his father had left the previous night. This, too, is a very frequent happening, and he is involuntarily taken out of the home and the father fails to get him to school. The boy's attendance record at school is horrific.
Altho I have usually stayed with my daughter, despite her orders to leave, yesterday I left saying I would be seeking help for the boy. It is a terrible environment for him, but I left him with his father who had returned to pick him up.
I hesitate to get Child Protective Services involved because of their incompetencies.

Can I go into court to get intervention for my grandson? He is supposed to be in therapy which he loves, but $$ have interfered with regular attendance.
I am a retired Music Specialist with the local School District, and have experience in-family (my own, which resulted in divorce several years ago.)
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.

The issue can be really tricky here. I have had many dealings with Child Protective Services. If they are called, they will come interview your grandson and review the home situation and possibly interview the parents. They may possibly remove the child from the home if they feel that he is in danger. The most logical place for him to be placed would be in your home.

However, you can call Child Protective Services anonymously and ask them if a child is removed from the home and there is a willing grandparent to care for the child, would that be possible and under what circumstances.

You are not the your son's legal guardian so you really cannot go to court because the parents are still in his life and make decisions for his well being.

I would call Child Protective Services and they can give you so much advice as to which direction to take. If you need to file a report, which centers around neglect, then do so. You are only protecting your grandson.

I hope that this has helped. If so, please ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my efforts. If you have further questions, please feel free to request Erica.13. Thank you and have a great evening!!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, BUT IT DOESN'T QUITE MEET THE REALITIES OF THE PROBLEM---WHICH MAY NOT HAVE ANY SATISFACTORY SOLUTION. I DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO TAKE MY GRANDSON -- I AM 78 YRS OF AGE AND LIVING IN A TINY APT. MY GRANDSON WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE SCHOOL DISTRICTS, IN FACT CITY RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS -- IT WOULD ADD TO THE OVERLOAD OF STRESS HE IS UNDERGOING AS WELL AND COULD "PUSH HIM OVER THE EDGE."
HIS FATHER TOOK HIM 2 DAYS AGO AND KEPT HIM OUT OF SCHOOL THIS FRIDAY. THE SCHOOL CALLED HIS HOME RE ATTENDANCE. SO NEGLECT IS STACKING UP HIGHER. HIS FATHER FAILED TO GET THE JOB HE HAD HIGH HOPES FOR; EXTENDING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS DOESN'T SEEM HOPEFUL...HIS MOTHER CALLED ME, SAYING DIVORCE WAS HER SOLUTION. OF COURSE I WILL GIVE ALL THE HELP I POSSIBLY CAN...

I WILL MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH MY OVERLOADED CREDIT CARD TO GET YOU PAID AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Ok...you can still call Child Protective Services for advice though as I mentioned. It would be in the best interest of your grandson to do so.. Thank you.