proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My husband just painted a dresser for my 3 year olds room with

Customer Question

My husband just painted a dresser for my 3 year olds room with indoor/outdoor alkyd enamal paint and it seems very smelly even though its been a few days. Is this going to harm my daughter in anyway to breath in the smell after the paint is dry?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Here is some information for you. Water based paints will have a smell that will reduce after 2 weeks. Semi gloss paints are nontoxic and the smell will last longer. Enamel paints are oil based and can be harmful in the sense that an individual may experience headaches and respiratory problems especially if they are already existing conditions such as asthma. To be on the safe side, the key in ventilation. Open windows and use fans. It is not safe to breathe for a long time if there is no ventilation. Some believe that you can put an onion cut into 4ths in a room to absorb the smell. Others believe that you can put vinegar in a room and turn on a heater to absorb the smell as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy the dresser. Please ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my efforts. Have a great evening.