proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my 15 almost 16 year daughter is being very disrespectful verbally

my 15 almost 16 year daughter is being very disrespectful verbally muttering and talking husband is career military and is done with her attitude. Today he sent her to her room and as she walked away she flipped him off and them swore....he followed her and started yelling as if she was a soldier not a teenager...I am caught in the middle her disrespect has gone too far but his sarcastic comments and "reacting" is over the top they are both upset with me because I see both sides. I know I need to be stricter but there has to be a middle ground better my method and my husbands
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Your husband's discipline style is obviously a lot more strict than your style. But your daughter must realize that she cannot continue to get away with that type of unacceptable behavior. Let's flip the script. What do you think would happen if you, your daughter, and husband could all sit down and have an open and honest discussion without the yelling and cursing? How do you think your daughter would react? Would she just clam up and not say much? Would your husband go for that? Something has to change or else your daughter will continue to rebel. No one needs to constantly verbally attack their children. Your daughter probably has learned to tune your husband out when he is screaming at her. I would really suggest a non threatening approach of a discussion. Give it a try. The results might surprise you. As a parent, you always want to foster the elements of respect and trust. I truly believe that those elements have been shattered in your family. Attempt to bring them back. I know that your daughter was not always behaving in the manner that she does. Think about those days and what you did back then. Do not give up. There is always hope and a light at the end of the tunnel although it is rather dark now. It may be difficult to change your daughter, but you and your husband can change your selves which in turn will affect your daughter.

I hope that this has helped. If so, please ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my efforts. Have a great week. Thank you for using Just Answer.Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok my husband doesnt always yell, actually he rarely raises his voice but and his sarcasim has come about after getting all talk and follow thru on our daughters part to change her attitude about family responsibilties and school. Neither one is willing to acknowlege the past and at the same time wipe the slate clean and see beyond the attitude they BOTH have towards the other. How do I get them to stop holding past "wrongs" against each other. It is like the He/She started it arguement.

Your husband and daughter have to agree to "let it go," meaning to keep the past in the past and attempt to better relate to each other. Both parties must agree and develop a mutual respect for one another. This is a process and will happen over time.