Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

child Psychologist- what are the long term effects f or survivors

Customer Question

child Psychologist- what are the long term effects f or survivors of a psychological muchausen
parent????
child 1st 7 yrs. was told he was allergic & could only eat pasta & broccoli, now has severe iron defiency....still no change on diet.

Child (8yrs.old) is still fearful of eating anything new, due to fear & anger instilled when he did eat differently.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanking you for trusting JA with your question.
There are physical effects of such a limited diet in childhood. Prolonged and untreated iron deficiency will affect all the child's growing organs including the brain and could cause learning problems. Other deficiencies would also have a permanent affect on the growing body (i.e., vitamins and minerals).
The fear of eating anything new, and the angry responses related to eating very likely will cause an eating disorder (as a teen for instance) which will be very difficulty to treat. In fact, you could say she already has an eating disorder because to reverse this eating pattern now to allow for healthy and well-balanced diet will require therapeutic intervention (child therapy).
The child will eventually be angry as a teen and adult against this parent who is placing them in harms way and causing lifelong physical and mental afflictions. This anger will be difficult to cope with and may lead to lifelong relationship problems because she/he will not know who to trust and develop a view of the world as untrustworthy.
If I were this child's teacher or primary MD and knew of this situation, I would be obliged by law to call child protective services.

Edited by Bonnie on 11/28/2010 at 4:50 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When she comes with us on weekends, what can we do or say differently to encourage new food & attitude???

Should we tell her there's an iron defiency & new foods are needed to correct this???

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You replied

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:34 AM EST

Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
What is your relationship to her?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm her Aunt.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
I would not get the child in the middle as this may increase her anxiety. You should deal with this through the parent (show her my email if you want). If parent does not respond, then make a referral to Child Protective Services (it is anonymous) so that the situation is investigated for the potential harm on the child.

If child has had a full allergy work up and an allergist has told her to abide by this diet and supplemental vitamins and mineral are being given, then it might not be Mueshausen (?SP).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

"When she comes with us on weekends" includes her Father, who is concerned & insisted on lab work that confirmed "iron defiency"

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When she comes with us on weekends" includes her Father, who is concerned & insisted on lab work that confirmed "iron defiency"

No confirmed allergy test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No allergy test.

Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Best wishes in finding a solution to this frustrating problem.