Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

Im a single father who gets his daughter on weekends. She

I'm a single father who gets his daughter on weekends. She is 5 years old who was never in daycare or went to preschool. She's having social interaction problems. Shes overly shy with new people AND with people she hasn't seen for a couple weeks, after an hour or so she warms up and is ok interacting with people. She does get very bossy and rude...but only in larger groups....I've talked to the school social worker and her view is that when she gets unconfortable she gets rude because thats how shes learned to handle those problems... I'm working hard to teach her better ways to cope....Tomorrow i'm going to my girlfriends for daughter knows her whole family but doesnt get to see them much...any pointers on how to help her avoid getting into a place where she feels the need to get rude? I've thought about having her pick a private spot in the house where she can go to be alone if she feels this a good idea? any other ideas you can suggest?
I like your idea of the quiet, calm place to be alone but she might need you with her. Watch for her stressed reactions and suggest a little break, just the 2 of you. (You might need it too). You are a wise father to think ahead and plan for potential situations. Good for you!! Let girlfriend in on your plan so she understands.