Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My 9 year old is in a gifted and talented program and was a

My 9 year old is in a gifted and talented program and was a great, passionate obsessed reader until two months ago. Now she says she doesn't like reading. That she needs to read each line over and over. i don't understand what's going on. She does extreme well in school and is on the honor roll this month. She is very worried that she suddenly dislikes reading--she told me so. THe 4th grade gifted program she is in is rigorous and has a lot of homework. Could it be she's tired? She thinks she has suddenly contracted some sort of disability-this dislike of reading. I know she's worried and i want to help her.
We are a reading household--i am a writer and her Dad is a journalist and she sees us reading all the time.
Her reading speed has also slowed a lot.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and sorry your answer has taken so long,

It sounds like she is having trouble concentrating (must read same sentence over and over). This can be caused by ADHD but because it is a new problem, I doubt that. It can also be caused from fatigue (as you suspected) and anxiety. You did well to reassure her that she is not losing the skill. She may either need to step back from the rigorous expectations or find some ways to cope with them. Concerning the latter, try relaxation training or yoga for children. In addition it is imperative that she receive at least 10 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.

I hope this helps,