proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my 14 year old does not finish anything he starts, and complains

my 14 year old does not finish anything he starts, and complains he doesn't like it anymore,
we have encouraged him insisted he to follow through activities, and programs he gets involved in, but he just loses interest , and quite often we can't afford to keep him in extra curricular activities. He is now in ROTC at high school, he chose this as his elective, and we support him with this decision.(he did not want to play sports or do music) he was doing well, but yesterday he said he doesn't like drill team anymore, we got to the bottom of it, and it turns out he hasn't been studying some of the inspection criteria, we told him some things in life are harder than others, and you can't give up, we see this pattern with him alot. what kind of advice/ or help should we be seeking?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

How is your son's social life? Is your son overall a happy teen ager? There may be underlying causes for his displeasure in activities. How are his grades in school? You need to have an open and honest discussion with him to see what is really bothering him lately. If refuses to open up to you, then you might want to try a neutral source like a counselor for him. You may also want to seek counseling for yourself as well if the situation does not improve just so that you can seek coping and intervention strategies in dealing with such teen age issues.

I hope that this had helped.

PLease ACCEPT. Thank you for your time. Have a wonderful day.