Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My boyfriend has an 8 year old son who has been used to controlling

My boyfriend has an 8 year old son who has been used to controlling his mom and dad his whole life. The biggest problem we have with him is , he has been used to sleeping with his mom and dad, then his mom and her boyfriend from birth. we do not let him sleep with us but he wants to sleep on the floor in our room instead of his bedroom. thwe last 3 nights he had a cold an we had him sleep in his bed with last 2 nights he cried himself to sleep. my big question is should we continue now to make him sleep in his bed? I say yes only his dad is not so sure.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
I agree with you that this would be a good time to transition to own bed permanently since the momentum is started. I would also add a reward and incentive program. In addition, expect that there will be set-backs and do not punish them (but simply hold back the reward).

One reward system that has been very successful with some children is called the "Fairy Bag" reward (or use another term if you'd like). An empty drawstring type bag is put on the bed post. If he falls asleep in his own bed (and ideally stays there), a reward will be found in the bag in the morning. It can be anything you decide (money, stickers, food, a certificate for a special outing, a token that can be collected to get something bigger). Once the habit is set you can withdraw the reward system.

Give it a try and good luck.
Thanks for asking JA.