Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

my son is 7 yrs. old he constantly talks back to me (mom) i

my son is 7 yrs. old he constantly talks back to me (mom) i ask him to be quiet and he will not I've tried taking toys away, spanking but he continues to do it what's your advice?
OK here is a positive support behavior plan:

Tell him that you are going to help him be good and follow the house rule.

Say "The rule is no talking back to me. That means, when I ask you to do something, you will do it without saying anything to me".

"If you do that the whole evening from after school until bedtime, I will give you a quarter.
When you have a dollar, you can buy something at the dollar store".

Do this for 2 weeks, then add the weekend days to the plan. "If you do this the whole day on Saturday and Sunday, I will give you a dollar to spend for each day. Then you will have even more money to spend at the dollar store.

Do not use punishment but after a while you can ask him to pay a fee for breaking the rule. Do not get into any discussion about whether or not he earned his reward. Just matter-of-factly give him reward or not. But do reward his trying even if he has slight slip-ups.

Hope this helps. Any questions??