Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

my two year old threw a massive tantrum when we attended a

Customer Question

my two year old threw a massive tantrum when we attended a music class this morning. I tried to engage him but when that failed, left the class. I was upset and think I took it out on him. What should I do in these situations? Its hard not to get angry.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.

ParentingMD :

ParentingMD :

Your are absolutely correct

ParentingMD :

It is hard not getting angry with a 2 year old throwing a massive tantrum in front of other people

ParentingMD :

instead of reinventing the wheel, let me direct you to some excellent web resources that I have found useful in telling the parents when they come to me in my office practice with this problem

ParentingMD :

In the public this is what should be done. No matter what kind of tantrum he’s having, if he doesn’t calm down, remove him from the public eye. Either take him to a bathroom or to the car and sit with him until he calms down. Let him know that he is going to sit there until he does calm down. He will eventually get bored and stop the behavior. It is important that if he is having a manipulative tantrum that you not give in to his demands. This only sets the stage for more tantrums to come

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications