proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have an almost 16 year old daughter who is out of control.

I have an almost 16 year old daughter who is out of control. I know she is on drugs, and drinks alcohol. (I have caught her and she has admitted it) She has an obsessive boyfriend, she skips school, she is mean, very disrespectful and has chosen the worst of friends. She comes from a good loving caring home (she is privileged) Very gifted....Academically, athletically, artistically and musically. Her teachers are worried Even her 20 year old brother is worried. She has quit sports and I have no control. I am worried sick. She is very manipulative and has become very sneaky. We are considering sending her to private school. Any advice? We do not do drugs or condone them and are not big drinkers. A social drink or a cocktail on a hot day. I am an teacher that has worked with at risk kids including having a class of at risk girls in grades 6 and 7. They have the utmost respect for me and still ask for advice. Nothing that has worked for them has worked for her.e-mail [email protected]
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

You have done all that is appropriate so far. I do think that counseling is a viable option so that you can receive intervention and coping strategies and your daughter can express her feelings about all of these issues. Private school is another alternative. I attended a private school from 3rd-12th grade. It was not a religious school which have been much more strict. The private school sheltered me greatly but in the long run, I am very grateful for the experience. Your daughter needs to dispose of that boyfriend which may be a very difficult process to do. She needs to be surrounded by positive people especially at school where the social pressures are tremendous. I would suggest a private school that has extremely rigid rules and regulations, has an excellent academic curricula, and a college preparatory program. Times are tough for many families in this difficult economy but if you can afford a private school, then go for it. Also, do not ever allow your daughter to feel like she is in control. You are the parent. You have authority as long as she is living under your roof.

I hope that this has helped. Please ACCEPT. Have a wonderful day.Laughing