Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Hi My five year old son refuses to sit on the potty chair

Customer Question

Hi

My five year old son refuses to sit on the potty chair and when I absolutley make him he will start to gag and vomit. How can I get him potty trained?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Does he have normal development otherwise? Is he anxious and scared of things? Is his speech developmental normal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For the most part yes. He speach is good now but he was a bit delayed talking. No he isnt anxious or scared of things. Just a normal little boy.

Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Children who are delayed in talking are often late in potty training. The best way for him to be motivated to use the potty is when he sees his classmates behaviors and he follows because he wants to be like them. If he has some cousins who are close in age, they can also be good role models for good potty behavior.