proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 14 yr old daughter and I have always been close. Now she

My 14 yr old daughter and I have always been close. Now she says she hates me, really hates me and has done so for along time. She says she hates me all the time and she says it with calmness and absolute sincerity. I am devastated.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Believe me..this is just a normal stage in her teenage development. Do not take it personal. My son is almost 15 and he has said some things that I would have never even thought to say to my parents without suffering extreme consequences.

I do not think you have really lost love for your daughter. A mother's love will always exist. You are experiencing feelings of unhappiness and depression..most likely. Is your daughter happy with other family members and her friends?

You are being a great mother by continuing to support her and ask her about her well being. However if you continue to feel the way that you do, I would suggest that you and even your daughter receive counseling to restrengthen the bond that you once shared. You also need to gain some coping and intervention strategies of dealing with a teenager. A counselor can walk you through that process.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here