Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

My four year old has been having frequent shishi accidents

Customer Question

My four year old has been having frequent shishi accidents lately. He has been potty trained for over a year now. We're trying to get him to go poop in the the toilet and he has been getting better at that ,which makes this such a surprise that he just goes shishi whenever, whereever. My mother (his grandmother) babysits him and always has. We've also been trying to get him out of a diaper at night, which is about the time these accidents started. Could that be a possible reason?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.

ParentingMD :

ParentingMD :

Certainly diaper is an issue here

ParentingMD :

As is the spanking too !

ParentingMD :

Hitting the child unfortunately does not solve the problem

ParentingMD :

In fact it exacerbates the situation

ParentingMD :

Since this becomes a power struggle between you and the child, and rest assured the child is unlikely to give up in this case

ParentingMD :

I would recommend that you read the following excellent article for tips on training children resistant to potty training

ParentingMD :

Do get back for any clarification

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications