proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I punished my 17 years old son by taking a car keys from him.

I punished my 17 years old son by taking a car keys from him. I realized he did lie to me and did not do well at school. I think his friends are bad influence. He is threatening me that he is going to leave. What should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.

Taking the cars keys away was a sign to your son that you are in control. However, his statement of leaving may be just a threat. Where would he actually go? If in fact he did leave, he would realize that life was much better at home and would eventually return sooner than you would think. In the meantime, sit down and have a face to face /eye to eye conversation with him. Express to him that you are going to be completely honest about your feelings and that he needs to do the same. Maybe there are underlying conditions that are causing him to behave the way he is behaving. If he will not open up to you and his behavior worsens due to the negative influences of his friends, then I would suggest that you may want to seek counseling for yourself to receive coping and intervention strategies in dealing with a teen age son. Also, the counselor may suggest that your son pay them a visit as well. If this is an on going problem, then you will need on going assistance to help you learn some effective and necessary skills.

If this has helped, please ACCEPT. Have a great day!!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, in a worst case if he wants to leave I should let him go?
The problem is that legally he is not an adult until the age of 18 so you are still responsible for him until then. If he chooses to live with a relative, then that would be a better scenario than living with friends. Simply ask him where would he go and how he would support himself. Some individuals are mature enough to handle this situation but it sounds like your son has negative influences of his friends that will create larger problems in the future. I would not allow him to leave at this point because of his age and acquaintances.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor