proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My fiancee spoils his daughter. She is 2 and 1/2 and he give

Customer Question

My fiancee spoils his daughter. She is 2 and 1/2 and he give into everythign she wants. If they go to a store, he buys her toys, if they pass by kids jewelry he buys her stuff because he can't bare to tell her no. Recently we took her to pick out her halloween costume and she insited on getting the "Dora" costume. Today she decided she wanted to be a cowgirl so now he wants to go get her all of the pieces for that costume. I try to reason with him and say that she picked out the "Dora" costume and that is what she should be. He keeps saying that she is two and she doesn't understand. I think she understands much more than he thinks and she knows daddy will get her whatever she wants. How do I talk to him about this?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Pose the question to him...What does he think will happen in school when she can't have her way? She must be emotionally healthy as well and be able to deal with rejection and disappointments. Having everything her way will not create a very receptive individual. She is not too young to understand the word No.
She must understand that the world does not revolve around her needs and wants. She must be giving as well. If she is in the MINE MINE MINE stage or I WANT and I GET stage, then the road ahead will be challenging. Back off a little from your fiancee and he will soon see the consequences of his actions being manifested.