proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I have a 3 year old son that is just off tha wall! He is smart

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old son that is just off tha wall! He is smart and Im not concerned with his learning ability but the way he acts out is a problem. When I try to correct him he laughs at me and runs off and does exactly what i told him not to. Also just the other day he stabbed a friend of mine in the leg with a pencil after i got on to him I went in to the other room to get his dad and when we came back in he had gotten another pencil and was standing over here 4 month old with it like he was about to stab him plus he punches and kicks our dog constantly! Please what do i do???
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.

Your son needs lots of positive reinforcement and focus on the times when he is behaving appropriately. Draw less attention to his negative behavior. You may want to put him on a behavior contract. Evey day that he exhibits good behavior for the entire day, he gets a sticker for that day. If he has acted up, he receives nothing. After let's say 5 stickers, he gets a special treat or gets to do something special. Accentuate his positive behavior. See if this works for a wile. When he does act up, sternly remind him of the inappropriate behavior and what should have been as an alternative reaction.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Weve done that! Hes not in school yet so during the day we start by taking time out of his wii time when his sister gets home.See I have a 8 year old who lives with him all the time and 2 sisters that are here every other weekend that try negotiating with him to. See I,ve raised one that is fine, I mean they all have their moments but nothing like him! He's my heart but I just dont understand what has went wrong! I need to figure it out especially the aggression part bc I have another baby due in dec. and I dont want to be afraid to leave him in the room her! Does that make me sound like a bad mother?!
You are not a bad mother at all. Your son has gone from the terrible 2s to the trying 3s. He is probably acting out with the new baby on the way in hopes of seeking more attention because he knows that his space will be invaded. If his behavior gets worse and especially does not improve by the time he is of the age of 4, then I would suggest that you seek counseling for him for impulse control strategies and for yourself for behavior management and intervention strategies.

Edited by Erica.13 on 10/20/2010 at 1:21 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well thank you. You think he could also have a hyper disorder bc there are times when hes talking to us hes bouncing up and down or walking back and forth like he cant stop and he does it so fast that before hes through talking he has run out of breath!
His pediatrician could diagnose his condition after a thorough examination and parental feedback. That is something that you may want to check into as well. I wish you success with the new baby and with the rest of your family. Have a great day!!!