proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My son is 19 and likes to go out drinking at the weekend. The

My son is 19 and likes to go out drinking at the weekend. The problem I am having with him is that when he drinks too much he gets into trouble and has just received a police caution. He then gets very angry and upset with himself stating that his life is "shit" and he wants to get out of England. I have tried to explain to him that he is not going to be accepted anywhere else if he gets a police record and that instead of looking at what he hasnt got to look at what he has got. He has good GCSE's, a job, his liscence and a lovely girlfriend and a family that loves him but he has to understand that its the drink thats the problem and it acts as a depresant. He says that he wont do it again but then a few weeks later he does. I am so worried that he is going to ruin his life and end up in serious trouble or harming himself. I have asked him to go with me to the doctors but he refused. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

If your son refuse to go to the doctor, then you need to go without him. He will end up allowing his drinking problems to ruin his life. You need to seek professional assistance from a neutral source like a psychologist or a family therapist who can provide you with intervention and coping strategies in dealing with the problems of your adult son. It is hard to change another your son...but we can change ourselves and our reactions to others' behavior. Seek help for yourself so that you can feel more comfortable in dealing with the situation. I wish you the best of luck.

PLease ACCEPT if this has helped. Have a great day!!!