proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 4 and a half year old daughter is being left out by certain

Customer Question

My 4 and a half year old daughter is being left out by certain young girls on her bus ride home. They don't want to sit with her and she's very sweet and extremely sensitive the girl that told her not to sit with her is a girlfriends daughter. I don't want to interfere, I want to teach her to be independant and use her words to say how she feels. But I'm afraid I'm giving the wrong advice. I want to esteem her and of course because she's my daughter I want school to be wonderful and want her to be happy
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Has your daughter ever said anything back to the girls on the bus ride home?
You are in fact giving the correct advice to your daughter. She is so young so there is not really a need to go into detail about other individuals' personality types. You can basically tell her that some people say nice things and sometimes other people do not. Then ask her wouldn't she rather be with people who say the nice things? Of course she will say agree. Then tell her to sit with the child you had mentioned above and she will be alright. There is no need to discuss the issue with your girlfriend unless it turns into malicious behavior and feelings are getting hurt.