Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I know a divorced man. He has two children still at home,

I know a divorced man. He has two children still at home, and he is the custodial parent. I know that the fourteen year old daughter regularly sleeps in her dad's bed. She has a bed in her own room, but they seem to both be happy with her regularly being in his bed.

I think it's weird. I can understand if she were a little girl, occasionally, but she's a freshman in high school. And she doesn't think it's weird to be laying next to her dad who sleeps in his underwear, and, on the other side, he doesn't think it's weird to have his fourteen year old, freshman-in-high school daughter laying beside him every night.

Do you think this could be called an acceptable situation?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Not acceptable at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the appropriate cutoff age for a daughter being in her dad's bed, if there is one?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Kids shouldn't sleep in their parents' bed at all. It does nothing but create problems. If there is a cutoff age then I would say before they go to school.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does a fourteen year girl in the bed probably mean there is emotional incest going on, if not physical?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
No I wouldn't jump to that. It probably means that dad doesn't know how to set boundaries with his child and to respect personal space.