proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My Son is the pickest eater on the face of the planet, and

My Son is the pickest eater on the face of the planet, and all he will eat are french fries, andevery once in a while a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My husband and I usually cook his fries in the oven, but we are out of town and staying in a hotel and can only order fries from the hotel downstairs, and the only option they have to cooking them is through the frier. I am so worried about his little heart, and all the cholesterol, however I want him to eat. I have bought him stuff for PB and J's but all he wants is fries and refuses to eat anything else. Can this effect his heart, will this cause problems for his health in the future?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

I was wondering how old your son is? Has he ever tried sweet potato fries? You and your husband must remain in control and not let your son continue to have his way. Have you tried talking to his pediatrician? I know that many health facilities have healthy eating classes for children even as young as four years of age. You must introduce new foods to your starting from square one when he was an infant. You can try the cold turkey approach and cut out fries completely which are in fact very unhealthy for him to consume all of the time. Another alternative is to take your son out to dinner or invite his friends over and serve anything else but french fries. Sometimes, the peer pressure will work as well.

I hope that this has helped. Please ACCEPT. If you need further assistance, contact Erica.13. Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is only 3... and when I say we have tried everything.. believe me, we have tried EVERYTHING.. my husband even went so far as to dress up like Buzz Lightyear and eat vegetables.. everytime he tries anything, he gags, and depending on what it is, will literally throw up. I have talked to his pediatritionist, and he has also said he needs to quit the fries now.. but I am worried about my son starving. He is very skinny, and if anything his pickiness has gotten worse. We mostly get his nutrition in from those pediasure drinks, but I wish he would eat. I don't want him to have health problems because of those stupid fries
I know it is not funny but the Buzz Light Year costume made me laugh. I have 3 sons now ages 10, 12, and 14. Your son will not starve. Just start by cutting out the fries completely. When he is hungry enough, he WILL eat. I doubt that he has serious eating disorder at age 3. Start by presenting him with healthy foods in an intersting happy faces with fruits, and "mountains" of rice with broccoli as trees. My sons hated broccoli but as soon as I said, let's eat the trees, they could not wait to eat them. You are going to have to be really creative here. Even let your son help in making the creative foods. Even play games with foods. You will have to to the non normal measures to get your son to eat. It will take a lot of time and effort but your son is worth it. Give it a try and see if it works!!!