Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

Good Morning, I think I am going to have a problem with my

Good Morning, I think I am going to have a problem with my son and his future fiance. For 25 years I had planned on giving my son my engagement ring to give to his future wife. The other night when we met with my jewerler, he recomended not selling the stone but possibly resetting it because you would never get the true value of it otherwise. The girlfriend has humiliated me by saying it was bad luck because my son's father and I are divorced. She took the ring and was going to take it to another jewerler to see if she could trade it or change the stone (have it shaved), from a oval to a round. Am I wrong to take offence to her actions when my intentions where to keep the stones in the family as a hereditary gift?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Whether you take offense would depend on your interpretation and expectations, in this case from her behavior. Even though you've decided to keep the stones in the family, once you decided to give the ring away, you kind of gave that choice away too. Once you give her the ring, she can always do anything to it or with it. At least she was making her intentions known early on.

Her intention may have not been to humiliate you even though you felt that way. It seems that she was just being honest about what she wants.