proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my grandson is finding it really difficult at school. He is

Customer Question

my grandson is finding it really difficult at school. He is 5 and in year 1. He bullies other children and seems not to be able to make friends in a conventional way. School has tried many systems which have failed. They have a support worker which is not helping either.
On the home front his parents split up 2 and half years ago, although he has regular visits to his daddy who lives close by. My daughter and her new partner now live together and are due to be married next June. He has a almost daily contact with me, nanna. We started doing family yoga 4 weeks ago and he interacts well in those classes. He plays well with my neighbours children. my daughter has tried everything, punishment, rewards, charts, days out nothing is helping. What do you suggest ? PLEASE HELP
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

It seems as though the school and your daughter have been working together in an attempt to solve the problem Now other actions need to be taken. It seems as though your grandson is having an internal conflict with his feelings which are being manifested through inappropriate behavior. All of the actions that you have already tried at school have obviously been unsuccessful since his behavior has gotten worse. What I would ultimately suggest is that your daughter take your son to see a counselor or a psychologist so that she and he can learn coping strategies and intervention techniques. If your daughter has health insurance, contact the customer service representatives and they can steer you in the right direction. Your son also may need to take some feelings management class which most health care facilities offer for children as well as for adults. Nonetheless, you and your daughter must get a firm hold on this behavior while he is still young before it spirals out of control. Your son also must learn appropriate coping techniques which must be taught such as through role playing and other child friendly games. Your son has some serious issues at school and some difficult issues of not having his dad around. He needs to develop a greater and positive sense of self worth. Please take the necessary actions for the overall positive mental and emotional health of your grandson.

I hope that this has helped. If so, please ACCEPT. If you have any further questions or concerns, please ask for Erica.13 in your question. Thank you for using Just Answer. Have a great day!!!

Your grandson needs to develop basic coping skills in empathy, impulse control , and anger management. I forgot to add that.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here