proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Our 15-year-old son took the car, without our permission, Saturday

Our 15-year-old son took the car, without our permission, Saturday night. He has a learner's permit and no nighttime driving experience. We took away all electronics and grounded him for a month. Last night I decided to take his permit and my husband said I shouldn't add things to a punishment we have already laid down. Was I wrong? I just really want to drive home the seriousness of what he did, endangering himself and others, etc. This is the 2nd time he's done this.

Additionally, I wanted a friend's husband, who is a policeman to talk with him from his standpoint, a nurse friend who has seen kids come into the emergency room after an accident, and also to take him to a funeral of 1 of the kids recently killed in a car accident to show him consequences. Would that be wrong?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Your son must understand the seriousness of the nature of teen age driving. He does need to have a talk with the police officer. I am sure that the officer can tell him all sorts of stories and show him some gruesome pictures of accidents. He does need to attend the funeral of one of the kids. He needs the scared straight approach to be used. Teenagers do not rationalize that awful consequences can happen due to their actions. Also, hide the car keys so that he does not have access to them.

I hope that this has helped. Please ACCEPT. If you have any more questions, request Erica.13 in your question. Have a great day!!!