Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

My daughter has been living in my home, and now has two of

Customer Question

My daughter has been living in my home, and now has two of her children living there. One of her daughters has had a baby..( she's 20)...does not work, and has questionable people coming into my home constantly...They do not help with the work that needs to be done in the home, and my property is being slowly demolished...How do I get them out of my home....I've had it....This is not a new development this has been going on for almost five years...I've tried everything..from calm talking to screaming..this is a situation that has me feeling defeted..I want my home back, and I want to live alone again.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Whereas, I am a big proponent of doing anything in the world for one's children, I would not be if taken advantage off. It is not alright for you to be paying most of the bills --- everyone in the household who is working should pay bills. The 20 year old if she is not in college should also contribute. They are certainly taking advantage of you.Give them notice so that they can find a place --- one month --- and if they don't move out I would take legal action.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you are offline. I'll check back later to see if you are back in chat mode.