proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 18 year old son just took a gap year. He took a job abroad,

Customer Question

My 18 year old son just took a gap year. He took a job abroad, he was underpaid and over worked. I felt it was a good life learning experience. I also think that as he was working and not in school he should be responsible for himself.
I paid for his air fare, clothes and a small allowance for food. He ran up extra expenses on his credit card which i expect him to pay. during this time he made and still continues to make money every month from youtube
I have deducted these expenses from that money. He believes that i am "being a weasel" by not giving him all of his money, and that i should pay for these expenses.
He clearly does not understand how i feel, and that i have stolen his money. I would appreciate an outsiders opinion
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

You are in fact doing the right thing by making your son pay for his actions. He is of the age to be considered an adult and should be treated as one. He should not expect you to pay for everything especially since he makes money. You are not stealing his money. Who does he expect to pay for the "extra" expenses incurred on his credit card? Soon, he will be paying for nearly all of his expenses. You are simply preparing him for that day which will come sooner than later!!!

If this has helped. Please ACCEPT. Have a great evening!!!