Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
19260254

My 17 year old son is obsessed to video games so as parents

My 17 year old son is obsessed to video games so as parents we decided to get rid of the game machine, due to the fact that he did not attend his school classes anymore. He never talked to us for two weeks. As a mom I could not stand it without any communication. We tried to talked to him and explained why and but he want his games back and he said he hated us. Please advise us how to deal with this situation.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

His school work is a number one priority. He is 17 and is choosing the silent treatment as a way to get back at you. At this age, he should understand what you are trying to do- help him.

If he had stopped going to his classes mainly because of the game involvement, then you've done well to consequent and take the game away. If you believe that he had stopped going for other reasons and the game was a way to distract himself, you would need to address that.

In order for him to earn the games back or any other privileges for which you provide, he has to show some changes in his behavior. You may decide what would constitute earning these items back and let him know what will lead to being taken away again.

He could have developed an addictive behavior and that needs to be addressed. He is 17 and still under your roof but his behavior from what you've shared is immature.