proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter is 11 years old and is intellectually much older

My daughter is 11 years old and is intellectually much older than her years. She is having a hard time fitting in with her peers and is being ostracized; recently by her only close friend. It is hard to be objective what should I do to help her?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

As an educator for over 19 years, I can suggest a few tips to assist you:

1. Make sure that your daughter is in an academically challenging and stimulating school-probably a school that has a large number of gifted and high achieving students

2. Allow her to participate in extracurricular activities that are non threatening like ballet, tap, modern dance, ice skating, gymnastics

3. If she has the skill, have her compete in competitive sports like soccer, swimming, basketball

4. See what interests she has and see if a Junior College has any programs geared toward her interests for her age group

5. Seek counseling for yourself to help you deal with your daughter

6. Seek counseling for your daughter if she needs to build her self esteem

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your daughter. Keep building her up. Follow the steps that I have listed. As mothers, it seems like we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. But have undying hope that things will improve. Have a great evening.

If I had shed some light on this issue, please ACCEPT. I appreciate your time in using this service. Have a great evening!!!!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here