Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

3 nights ago my daughter woke up in the middle of the night

3 nights ago my daughter woke up in the middle of the night and threw up a few times. She woke up the next morning fine. 2 Nights ago she woke up and threw up once again. In the morning/during the day shes fine. Last night we thought it might have been a lactose issue (I am lactose intolerant) so I got her the lactaid milk and the same thing happened.

Tonight I decided to do a little test. She went to bed normal time at about 830. She was up in her bed for a half hour and said she felt sick again. Rather than bring her to the bathroom I brought her downstairs and started playing with some toys with her. She said her tummy was fine. I sent her back to bed and 5 minutes later she was "sick" again. I brought her down, played with toys and she was fine in 5 minutes.

At first I thought she might have a stomach virus. Then I thought the milk. Now I'm beginning to think it's a "mental" issue.

I have a MAJOR fear of throwing up plus I was diagnosed with panic disorder when I was 22 (6 years ago). I have the same exact symptoms as her (I don't actually throw up though). I get nauseous and I have to occupy myself with something that is pretty intense to get my mind off of it. I've been going through this since I was 5.

Could my daughter be suffering from the same thing?
How old is she?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Bonnie for leaving that out. It's a pretty important factor.

She's 2 and a half. She turns 3 in February.

Since this is a sudden onset of a new behavior, I would not be too quick to diagnose. But, for the sake of discussion, let's say it might be anxiety. Is there any new or upsetting events/changes in her life?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
New? Possibly. say possibly because her mother and I separated a year ago and I think she might be starting to understand it.

It's not new but it could be new to her.
It is always such a shock to me when I think I am talking to a mother and it is a father. HAHA.

That is a good to her. How often does she see mother?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ha. Well, I kind of went through the same type of thing and still go through it every day. Like you said earlier it could be too soon to tell but I remember with great detail how it started with me and I was the same way.

She sees her mom Sunday into Monday then again Wednesday into Thursday.
Well anxiety does "run in families" and a "nervous stomach" can be a symptom. I am just afraid that the vomiting might become behavioral or be used to get attention or stay up. You want to comfort her, of course, and distract her until she feels better but stay in her bedroom and try to wean from it if possible. The MD might be able to suggest an antacid/GERD type medication to give at bedtime. Give her lots of comfort and support at other times too. If the theory is correct about the adjustment to the divorce, do many things to ease the transition between households

transition objects, pictures of other parent to carry with her, good communication about her patterns,

Also Mom and Dad be sure to be on your best behavior with each other during transitions. She should see you being having a good co-parenting relationship. If this is impossible, then make the transition through another person.

Just theories at this point and a case of gastroenteritis does take a few days to get over (so let's hope that is all it is).

Good luck,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much Bonnie!
My pleasure and thanks for the accept. Please leave helps my profile look good..:-)