proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 13 yr son wants to quit football. He begged to play at the

My 13 yr son wants to quit football. He begged to play at the beginning of the season and against my better judgement from past experience that he didn't like the sport, i agreed to let him play. Two weeks ago we were at this point and I told him didn't have the option to quit he had to finish the season because i don't believe in quitting. Well that lasted 2 weeks and know we are there again, he quit the night after a game that was a loss and practice was going to be tough. I don't feel it is right to make him go back since he didn't practice with team on the tough night , but I don't want to allow him to quit. Any suggestions?
in Pa
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.

Funny thing is that I am dealing with the exact same issue with my son. Just allow him to finish out the season despite the fact that he may dread attending practices and going to the games. You want to teach your son the importance of completing tasks even when faced with adversity. You are exactly correct in the fact that you do not want to teach your son to be a quitter. He must finish what he has started and then may want to change to another sport. It will be tough watching him play football when his heart is not really into it. But in the long run, it will be a definite learning experience for you all.

I hope that I have helped. Please ACCEPT. If you need further assistance, please ask!!! Have a great evening!!!