Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Is it normal for an 18 month old to stick her fingers in her

Customer Question

Is it normal for an 18 month old to stick her fingers in her diaper / vagina constantly?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I'll be with you in a moment.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Children do play with their private parts. How often is constantly?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Do you really mean all the time?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It is not abnormal to do this sometimes. If she is constantly doing this I would ask her paediatrician about it. You want to be sure she doesn't have an infection or anything physical wrong.

Customer :

Well, it seems like she wants to take her diaper off. I am now at the point where I have to put a onsie on her, put pants on top of her diaper witha swim diaper on top because she'll stick her fingers in there. Whether she's upset or bored or in the bath. The one day we were on vacation and she stuck her fingers in poopie diaper and smeared it everywhere

Customer :

I did ask the nurse and she said it was normal but this was a few weeks ago. my daughter is very very smart and I guess just wants to know what it is down there. i try to tell her that is where we go poo-poo and pee-pee and that's where babys come from. and only herself, mommy, dadday, and grandmom can touch that when we change her diaper.

Customer :

i have a follow up appt. on tues so i will bring it up them. Thanks!

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

She's a little young to explain all that to. She won't at her age understand where babies come from.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I just noticed what you said about smearing her poop. Who knows if she smeared some poop near her vagina and caused an infection. Anyway, it might not be that, but better to check it out. Don't focus too much on it and you don't need to explain so much --- as I said --- even though she is very smart --- it's beyond her.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Piaget did research on child development and the child's ability to conceptualize. They don't until they are seven years old --- no matter how smart the child is.

Customer :

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how many words an average 18 month old says?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

By 18 months, a child has a vocabulary of about 20 words and 50 or more partial words by the time they turn 2.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

This is the average --- some children are far behind, others are far above.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me know if you have anything else to ask. If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback.