Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

My 5 year old niece recently told her mom that my son (6yrs)

My 5 year old niece recently told her mom that my son (6yrs) exposed himself and asked her to remove her panties rubbed his penis against her, then told her not to tell and blocked her from leaving the room. I have asked my son what happened and he doesn't remember and he gets defensive. He knows not to expose himself in public and we are very open about our body parts. They have always been close and they love eachother. Do you think I should be concerned that my son has been exposed to someone sexually. He shows no signs of distress and is a very loving kind boy.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

There is a possibility that the behavior may have been witnessed by him. Also, it is not unusual for children of this age to show curiosity about other's body parts and display some sexualized play.

Try not to punish or shame him but rather try to find out what may have prompted the incident. Do not ask leading questions.

If your niece has some more information as to how this started, ask her or her mom. Re initiate to your son what constitute good vs inappropriate touch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will definitly get some more books on the subject and discuss what is and isn't appropriate, but is there anything else I should do at this point. Should I leave it alone when my son says he doesn't know what happened? Is it possible that my niece has been exposed or a witness to this behavior and my son just brought out this experience with something he did? She was visibly upset on this occassion that she says it happened (my sons were over to play), but is it possible that the experience happened beforehand and it came to the surface that day?x
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
Yes- for the time being leave the incident alone (if he feels pressured for an answer, he may fabricate one) You would want to watch him and make sure he's not alone with his niece again. It is possible that the behavior came to the surface that day. Anything is possible. Some signs to watch for