Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

My 13 year old son is unsure of his sexuality. How can I help

My 13 year old son is unsure of his sexuality. How can I help him to talk about it?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Customer :

I am a single parent so he does not have a relationship with his dad. could this be the problem? His dad would be willing to meet him but he does not want this to happen and I don't want to force it. I live in Croydon, Surrey. Beckenham in Kent is also nearby. I would welcome a contact for counselling please.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

YES!!!!!! that could very much be the problem. Let me find you a contact. Don't know if I could find someone in that area but I will look. If I can't I'll connect you with an organization in the UK that will know better what's in your area. I'm going to look. Will be back soon.

Customer :

Thank you. I will wait to hear.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I don't know if this is near you but if you contacted them, they may know the right kind of therapist near you.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Renate Blackwood BPC.LCP.GCP.

Full Size Image

7 Esher Park Avenue
KT10 9NP
View map
tel: 01372 462852
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me know.

Customer :

Did you get my last message requesting some help on phrases to use to open up a discussion regarding how my son feels about talking about his father please? I think I lost the internet connection

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

No, I didn't.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I would sit down and tell him that I wanted to talk to him about his dad. I would say,"I know that this is a very difficult issue --- it's difficult for both of us, but I love you very much, and want to have an open dialogue with you. I would like you to share your thoughts with me and ask me any questions that you would like to and I'll answer as best as I can."