proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I am going through a divorce and have a six yr old and eleven

I am going through a divorce and have a six yr old and eleven yr old son. My youngest son has become just out of control. He will not mind and is very disrespectful. I don't know how to change bad habits that I have started with my parenting. What are some techniques that I can use to modify his behavior?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
He needs to be put on a behavior contract which will draw more attention to his positive behavior. Of course he still needs to be told about inappropriate behavior. This is how a behavior contract would work. List the days for the week for the month....or you can just use a calendar...but it needs to be child friendly. If he has a good day without any problems, he would receive a sticker of some sort that he likes... on that day. If he has a bad day, he gets nothing. After let's say..five stickers...he gets a treat. Nothing too expensive though If this seems to be working, after a month or so, bump up the stickers to 10. Behavior contracts really do work!!!! However, if his behavior is completely out of control and he becomes very aggressive, violent, and/or hostile toward you, I would suggest that you seek professional help from a certified family counselor or psychologist. If you have health insurance, call the customer service representatives and they can steer you in the right direction. You and your son may need a neutral person to discuss your feelings with.