proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My husband & I are getting a divorce after 16 years of marrage.

My husband & I are getting a divorce after 16 years of marrage. I have a 3 year old daughter that lives with me and a 15 year old son that lives with his Father.

My daughter is having a difficult time adjusting, when she is with me she wants daddy and when with him she wants me.

Any advise to help her adjust?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
I will get back to you within the hour.
Your daughter is still very young to truly understand what is going on. The easiest way to help her is to tell her that you and daddy are going to be living apart but that you will always be her mommy and he will always be her daddy. Tell her constantly that you love her and hopefully her dad will do the same. When she is with one parent, that parent should tell her to be a big girl and tell her that the other parent is waiting for her to return. She may feel like she did something wrong and that is why Mommy and Daddy are apart. But this is a time when you need to be very positive with her about everything. Do not let your emotions regarding the divorce affect your relationship with your daughter for you and your husband. Just continue to make her feel special in every possible way...though without spoiling her.