Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

HiI am from india. And I have 2 words in my surname. But

<p>Hi I am from india. And I have 2 words in my surname or last nam (in indian passport of mine)e . But I want to put only one word among these two words surname as my daughter's surname after she will born here in US,. I just want to know that Do I need to take any legal steps for this? Could you please answer this? </p><p> </p>
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Since she will be born in the US, she is a US citizen. In the hospital you will be asked to give the information to complete the birth certificate by a person who specializes in completing this form correctly. At that time, you can give the baby any name you desire. No other legal steps are required. However, if you want to change anything after the birth certificate is complete, you must file papers with the courts. Then it becomes a legal matter and needs the consult of an attorney.